The station was opened in 1863 as part of the Strathspey railway line, and was operated by the Great North of Scotland Railway Company who’s headquarters was in Aberdeen. The line ran from Dufftown along the banks of the River Spey to Nethy Bridge and thence to a connection with the Highland Railway at Boat of Garten. Commonly referred to as the Speyside Railway, it’s main purpose was to service the many distilleries which lie in the region. Cromdale, had a reasonable sized goods yard for whisky traffic, with a private line to the local distillery at Balmenach.
During re-grouping of the railways, the station became part of LNER in until nationalisation of British Railways in 1948. Under the infamous Beeching cuts, the station was closed to passengers in 1965 and to goods in 1968. It was then abandoned and fell into considerable disrepair until taken over by the present owners in 1994. They then set about restoring the outside of the station, and converting the inside for their own living accommodation. Meanwhile, the goods yard was sold off for development as a small settlement of modern houses.